Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Italian egg hash ranchero

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know: I'm posting pretty sporadically lately. Look, my repertoire of food is pretty limited, and my coworkers and I have fallen into a rut of always going to the same restaurants for lunch. 

Actually, last week, my coworkers finally went to a different place for lunch. They had sushi with bread on it. But I was absent, having to stay home with a sick toddler. So no pictures of an empty table that once had bread sushi. And no, they're never going back there again, so there will never be any pictures of that empty table. (One of my coworkers said he preferred the tables at the bread sushi place over the tables at any other restaurant, by the way.)

To make up for the bread sushi, I present to you Italian Hash Ranchero!

So about two months ago, I went to a brunch place where I ordered something called Huevos Benedictos Rancheros, which was eggs benedict with guacamole and fresh tomato salsa instead of hollandaise sauce. It was pretty fucking awesome. It was so good that I resolved to eat my eggs with avocado and salsa from then on. It was an interesting experiment.

My first attempt to add avocado and salsa to my egg universe (eggiverse?) was with scrambled eggs. Let me tells ya, scrambled eggs do not go well with avocado and salsa. Scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa kinda tastes like random mush. It was not good.

However, eggs over easy, eggs sunny-side-up, and fried eggs in general taste really good with avocado and salsa.

But the best type of eggs with avocado and salsa is Italian Hash! 

Italian Hash is so oily and salty and cheesy that it practically begs for salsa and avocado. Seriously, the salsa and avocado totally take Italian Hash to an entirely new level. You know how on Top Chef sometimes the judges say things like, "I felt this needed some acid to break it up" or "It needed something fresh"? Yeah, well the salsa is the acid that breaks it up, and the avocado is the freshness. 

It is the best breakfast ever, even if it's probably 6 zillion calories. On the upside, though, you will not be hungry at the office, and you will not stuff your face with veggie straws from the snack closet.

Six Zillion Calories of Pure Fantastamagoliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment